Admission requirements

To be admitted to Yukon University, students must be either 19 years of age or have graduated from high school in their home country. High school graduates are required to provide a high school graduation certificate, translated into English.

Students between the ages of 17 and 19 who have not completed high school in their home country, but have been out of school for a minimum of one year, may be accepted into Yukon University.

English requirements

For direct entry into University Transfer Programs, students are required to show one of the following:

  • Bachelor’s Degree programs:
    IELTS 6.0 (in Academic Testing. No lower than 6.0 in each section) or
    iBT TOEFL – 79
    PTE Academic 46 (no lower than 46 in each section)
  • Diploma and Certificate programs:
    IELTS 6.0 (in Academic Testing. No lower than 5.5 in each section) or
    iBT TOEFL – 79
     PTE Academic 46 (no lower than 36 in each section)
    *Students applying under SDS (Student Direct Stream) program must have an IELTS score of 6.0 with no lower than 6.0 in each section to meet the requirement for the program.
  • Culinary Arts, Office Administration and Trades programs:
    IELTS 5.0 (in Academic Testing. No lower than 5.0 in each section) or
    iBT TOEFL – 45
     PTE Academic 29 (no lower than 29 in each section)
  • Adequate scores on the Yukon University English placement exam (available only at Yukon University)
  • Minimum 62% in Canadian High School English 12. Communications 12 is not accepted as meeting English requirements
  • Due to many IELTS and iBT TOEFL testing centers being closed, we will temporarily accept Duolingo English Test (Duolingo 105=IELTS 6.0, Duolingo 100= IELTS 5.0) and/or IELTS Indicator Test. Please contact for further details.

Students requiring English upgrading will be placed in the appropriate level of ESL. After graduating from ESL, students are permitted to enter directly into academic classes without any further English testing.

For direct entry into trades, such as carpentry, welding, or culinary arts, the English requirements are lower.  Please contact international admissions for detailed information.

Prerequisites and other program requirements 

Prerequisites are the courses you need to have already taken in order to enter a specific program. 

You may need to take prerequisites such as mathematics or science before entering a program. To find out about the prerequisites for your program, go to the Yukon University Programs page, click on the program you want to take, and then choose “Program Admission” from the left-hand menu.


Applicants educated in a country other than Canada or the United States should have their transcripts evaluated by an agency such as International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) in British Columbia  or International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) in Alberta.