What can the Research Services Office help with?
The Research Services Office (RSO) supports research and scholarly activity from beginning to end. The RSO fosters a culture of scholarly inquiry across all our campuses.
Our services include:
- assisting with the development of research ideas
- providing information on sources of project funding
- administering grants and awards
- access to lab space, equipment and collections
- ethics services and support
- communicating and celebrating research and scholarly activity
Need some inspiration developing your research or scholarly activity idea?
- check out the Yukon University Strategic Plan to help provide some guidance
- drop by ResearchChats every Friday at lunch in A2601
- contact the Research Services Office at 867 456 6986
You have a research or scholarly activity idea - now what?
We'll help you develop your research question and get you thinking about other project considerations, like:
- time and workload
- funding and budget
- infrastructure requirements
- student/contractor hiring
- reporting and dissemination of information
- Will your research deal with humans or animals?
- If yes, you will require an ethics review.
- If unsure, contact us.
We'll work with you to find and apply for both internal and external funding.
- Available Internal Grants (1 year funding term):
- External funding may be available from:
- Municipal, Territorial and First Nations Governments
- Federal Government departments
- Industry partners
- University partners
- Tri Councils – NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR
- Private donor, through YukonU Foundation
**Please note: applications for funding over $50,000 must be approved by the Financial Administration Committee [BH1] prior to development and submission. The Research Services Office can help facilitate this process.
We'll help you navigate ethics and assist you with working on the land and with communities.
- Human and animal research ethics applications are due two weeks prior to Research Ethics Board meeting for review.
- Be sure to apply for ethics at the same time as funding goes in, so there is no delay in starting your research once the funds come in – please check in with the Ethics Coordinator.
- Understand Yukon University’s Policies and Procedures on Research Ethics and Compliance.
We'll help you get your project underway or assist with revisions to your funding application.
- Congrats, your funding came through! Let's work together to:
- inform communications department
- start a research account with Research Services Office
- understand hiring and purchasing associated with research projects
- develop partnership agreements and sub-contracts
- understand how to administer travel
- monitor your budget
- report on your project to your funder
- update your Open Scholar page to inform folks of your exciting new project
- ensure photos and videos of your project are collected with the appropriate consent forms and captions
- Your funding did not come through. Let's work on:
- evaluating your proposal and providing feedback
- informing the Financial Administration Committee and closing out your Project Identification Form
- checking out other funding opportunities
- working on developing a new idea
We'll help you through the final stages of your project, such as:
- closing accounts
- final reporting
- financial reporting
- dissemination of results
- Yukon University repository
- photos/videos upload
- update Open Scholar with publication, links and any other information
Get in touch
We have the expertise to support your research and scholarly activity needs through our in-house experts and circumpolar connections. Contact us at 867 456 6986 and visit our YukonU experts directory.