Accessibility Services

Welcome to Accessibility Services located in the Learning Assistance Centre at Ayamdigut Campus, Whitehorse. 

Yukon University is committed to creating an accessible learning environment open to all students by ensuring equal access to academic facilities, learning environments and educations programs.

We know every student is unique and has different needs. Accessibility Services works collaboratively with students with disabilities to provide a supportive learning environment that enhances academic and personal development.

Students experiencing barriers due to a visible or invisible disability, mental health, or chronic health condition should contact Accessibility Services to speak with an advisor about their individual accessibility needs and to identify appropriate academic accommodations.

Students are responsible to self-identify and request academic accommodations from Accessibility Services. All services are confidential.

Academic accommodations

Academic accommodations are put in place when students with disabilities experience barriers that interfere with learning and participating in University life.

Academic accommodations are planned variations to the way a student engages with the academic environment, their classes or demonstrates their knowledge.

Academic Accommodations are meant to level the playing field and provide equal access to learning and services. They do not guarantee academic success. Students with disabilities must meet the same academic requirements and standards as other students in their courses and programs.

Academic accommodations are individualized based on each students’ functional limitations and the impact on learning. Accommodations are identified though collaboration with students and supported by disability documentation from an appropriate health care provider.

Examples of academic accommodations include but are not limited to:

  • Alternate setting for tests/exams
  • Extra time for tests/exams
  • Textbooks and course material in alternate format (e.g. pdf, braille, large print)
  • Access to technology and use of specialized software
  • Reader/Scribe

Students seeking academic accommodations must register with Accessibility Services.


Students are expected to provide disability related documentation from the appropriate health care professional qualified to diagnose their disability.

Documentation must describe the nature of the disability and include a description of the functional impact of the disability. A diagnosis alone is not sufficient to support a request for accommodations.

Documentation of disability must be current. Learning assessments completed after the age of 18 may be acceptable. Assessments completed in K-12 must be no more than 5 years old.

Students who do not have documentation or are unsure if they have a disability, should contact Accessibility Services to identify options for accommodations.

An IEP or Student Learning Plan is not sufficient documentation to support academic accommodations. While the IEP identifies accommodations used in high school, the IEP does not provide the needed documentation of disability.

Students are responsible for any costs associated with getting the assessments and documentation needed to support accommodations.