Get involved this semester, from wherever you are!
Activities and student-run clubs at YukonU are offered to enrolled students at no charge.
A club is a student-run organization under the YukonU umbrella. Clubs can include sports teams, groups focused on a hobby or interest, chapters of larger organizations, or a support group for people who share certain experiences. Clubs can organize events for students or the broader community, engage in fundraising and advocacy for a cause, or just provide a space to connect with like-minded students.
YukonU Basketball Club
Play in the Ayamdigut Campus Gym Mondays 3-4 and Thursdays 3-5 pm.
Ages 18+. Covid restrictions apply.
YukonU Nursing Students
Our mission is promoting the wellbeing of Nursing Students.
YukonU Sustainability Committee
Our mandate is to foster, facilitate and advocate for leading edge environmental sustainability at YukonU as a student-led initiative. Faculty/Staff are welcome at meetings.
Student Refugee Program Committee
In partnership with WUSC, this student and staff committee works to fundraise, sponsor and support refugee students at YukonU and raise awareness of refugee issues.
YukonU Outdoor Club
Student based club facilitating a range of outdoor activities, inclusive to all levels of experience. Volunteer driven, with regular events such as bouldering nights to be held weekly, with more involved trips on weekends and breaks.
- Access to existing equipment such as XC skis, snowshoes, 3 season camping equipment.
- Instructional events to be held on occasion, in topics such as outdoor safety, climbing and belaying techniques, packing for camping etc.
- Relevant introductory, intermediate, and advanced rating to be applied to trips and events when necessary.
Help get a new club off the ground! YukonU Student Clubs need at least three active student members to be officially recognized. The clubs below have been proposed but are still looking for members. Interested? Contact the initiators to add your name and help get the club recognized.
Yukon University Bicycle Club
A strong emphasis on riding to reduce fossil fuel dependency will be a core ethos of the club.
Further, maintenance sessions and workshops will be run to help riders become more in tune with their bicycles by learning basic, and advanced maintenance techniques.
Social rides will also be organised on occasion.
YukonU Board Games Club
The club is also a means to introduce new players to board games, who otherwise may not ever play.
Ideally the Club will meet once a week on a night voted for by members, to be updated each semester.
YukonU Philosophy Club
Before starting a club, you will need to
- Check this website to see if the club you have in mind already exists
- Read the Student Clubs Manual (YukonU Student Clubs Manual.pdf)
- Find a few more people to start the club with you. If at least three YukonU students are interested, you can register as an official YukonU student club
- Look for a faculty or staff mentor. Although you don’t need one to be an official club, working with a supportive member of staff can help you navigate the University and connect with other resources
To start a club
- Fill out a clubs registration form (YukonU Club Registration Form.docx) and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need:
your club name
a brief description (1-5 sentences), and
the names and emails of 3 current YukonU students
Three contact people will need to sign the Clubs Code of Conduct
Once your club is approved, plan to meet with the Student Engagement Coordinator to discuss the supports your club wants/needs
- Update your list of three contacts every semester
Recognized YukonU Student Clubs can get:
Official YukonU Student Clubs are a part of the University’s student services. Clubs are an extension of Yukon University, and club activities should reflect the University’s values.
By joining an official YukonU Student Club, members agree to the following:
- Clubs must be open to all YukonU students, with these exceptions
- Clubs may require members agree with a purpose or mission
- Members may be excluded for misconduct by due process
- Clubs must not make financial or in-kind contributions a condition of membership
- Clubs may allow non-students to participate in club activities, but all decision-making positions (executive, voting member) must be held by current YukonU students
Events and activities
- Clubs must ensure they have proper insurance for all activities which are not covered by Yukon University’s insurance policy
- Clubs may not be used to promote hate, bullying or harassment, illegal activity, or the personal gain of club executives
- Clubs engaging in advocacy or with external organizations must make clear they are a Student Club and do not speak on behalf of YukonU
Transparency and accountability
- Clubs agree to inform the Student Engagement Coordinator of any partnerships with organizations within or outside of YukonU
- Given at least 5 business days’ notice, clubs agree to allow the Student Engagement Coordinator to review or audit the Club’s operations
The Student Engagement Coordinator retains the right to deny or remove official status from a club at their discretion.