We're thrilled to welcome nominated exchange students to YukonU!
Consider an exchange to YukonU by first exploring our programs and courses and learning more about student life at Ayamdigut Campus in Whitehorse.
Nomination and application process
- The north2north coordinator at your home institution must complete a nomination form on your behalf.
- Application instructions and documents will be sent to your email provided in the nomination form.
Be sure to select the appropriate semester while browsing our course catalogue online.
You will meet with a YukonU program advisor and/or an international coordinator to select and discuss course options prior to registering for courses. As part of your application, you will fill in a learning agreement that includes your preferred course selection.
Courses are typically three (3) credits; some courses are six (6) credits.
- Minimum: 3 course (9 credits)
- Maximum: 5 courses (15 credits)
As an exchange student, you will most likely study at Ayamdigut Campus, in Whitehorse, Yukon. If you are registered in a short-term field school, you may have an option to travel to a remote location in the Yukon.
You may decide to study a variety of courses from different program areas depending on availability of seats. Some courses are restricted to specific programs and are not available to exchange students. You will be expected to have appropriate pre-requisites for courses.
Besides specific foreign language courses, all courses will be taught in English. You will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English.
Language proficiency may be demonstrated by:
- A signed letter from the Faculty of English OR international coordinator from your home institution confirming that your English language skills are adequate to study at a post-secondary level; or
- Proof of achievement, at a prescribed level, in TOEFL or IELTS.
YukonU uses a letter grade system based on a 4.0 point scale.
Please review the grading system by reviewing YukonU's Academic Regulations
If you are studying in Canada at designated learning institutions for six months or less, you do not need a study permit.
For more information visit the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship (IRCC) website. For most nations to visit Canada you need to obtain an electronic travel authorization (eTA).
Email questions to an International Student Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have been nominated by a participating north2north member institution you will not be expected to pay tuition at YukonU. You will only be expected to cover student service fees.
Cost of living
Visit Money Matters online for details.
Estimated cost per semester (4 months) for basic living expenses in CAD:
- Student Fees: $195 *basic ancillary fees, all fees are subject to change annually
- Course fees: $0 to $500 *Some courses will have additional fees, such as lab fees for science courses. Please review the ancillary fees chart for specific course fees.
- Campus Housing: $2,100 to $2,500
- Phone: $120 to $300
- Transportation: $30 for a student bus pass
- Food: $1,600 to $2,000
- Medical insurance (see below): $210
Students are required to have adequate insurance while studying in Canada and as an inbound exchange student. Incoming students can choose to be automatically enrolled in a Gaurd.Me plan for the duration of your exchange. The approximate cost per semester is $210 CAD for 4 month's of coverage.
Yukon University, Ayamdigut Campus has four student housing buildings, providing 92 units for up to 108 students. Ranging in price from $2,100-$2,500CAD per academic semester. You may apply for a dormitory unit or a room in a shared apartment. Units for couples and/or families may be available.
Application initial review dates for 2022-2023:
- Fall semester by - May 1
- Winter semester - October 1
Visit Campus Housing online to learn more.
Get outside and get involved with a variety of clubs, activities and events available on and off-campus! There are also opportunities to get involved with student governance, or find employment on campus or volunteer while you study at YukonU.
The Student Success Division offers one-on-one tutoring; learning strategies workshops; personal counselling; and other events run through the Student Life Hub.