Note: a new edition of APA Style is available. Consult with your instructor to confirm which edition is preferred in your assignment.
|Citing in APA||Other formats||Citation Management|
MLA Style (guides by Purdeu OWL)
Try these free tools to manage your citations
For more information and examples, check:
- APA 7th edition: American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.). http://doi.org/10.1037/0000165-000 / Call number: Reference BF76.7 .P83 2020
- APA 6th edition: American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Jossey-Bass. / Call number: Reserve BF76.7.P83 2010
- CSE Style: Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers. 2014. 8th ed. Chicago (IL): University of Chicago Press / Call number: ReferenceT11 .S386 2014
Using mobile apps for assignments
Students enrolled in programs such as Social Work and Multimedia may be required to do assignments that involve audio and video recordings. The library can provide some equipment for these purposes, but students are encouraged to explore applications available from their own devices. Check the following handout to know more.
Start your search
- Generating a Thesis Statement or Research Question : Use this sheet to create a thesis or research question.
- Boolean Operators : Learn how to combine your keywords effectively.
- Recording your Research Strategy : Use this sheet to record your search strategies and track results.
- Use library Discovery search and databases to find resources:
- Google Search Tips
- Copyright guidelines: respect fair dealing recommendations when making copies of copyrighted works.
Evaluate your results
- Evaluating Sources of Information : Use the RADAR framework (Relevance, Authority, Date, Appearance, Reason) to evaluate resources.
- Evaluating Periodicals : Learn how to identify different types of periodicals.
- Identifying Different Types of Academic Articles : Learn how to identify various types of academic articles and decide which ones are good for your search.
- How to Identify Fake News (Fake News worksheet) : Use this Fake News Worksheet to identify when a news story is factual, misleading, or simply false
Lorene Robertson Writing Centre & Academic Support Centre
If you need help with writing, the Lorene Robertson Writing Centre is staffed by helpful writing coaches from across the university and offers one-on-one appointments with students.
The Academic Support Centre exists to support all Yukon University students on-campus and by distance. The Centre is located in room A2309 at the Ayamdigut Campus and offers a supportive and welcoming space to study and receive help with writing, math, computers, and other academic skills.
Students enrolled in the following programs can access library resources (e.g. physical books and access to online databases) via University of Regina or University of Alberta.
- Bachelor of Education (YNTEP): access resources through University of Regina
- Bachelor of Social Work: access resources through University of Regina
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Northern Environmental and Conservation Sciences (ENCS): access resources through University of Alberta