Yukon University is excited to be offering another Carpentry Pre-apprenticeship program for women, May – October, 2022. Learn carpentry theory and gain practical hands-on experience in a fun and supportive environment. Start your journey towards a Red Seal Endorsement today!
If you are accepted, you will be given a seat in the program until you say you don't want it. All fees (aside from the application fee, which needs to be paid upon application) must then be paid on the first day of classes.
The objective of the Carpentry Pre-apprenticeship program is to provide students with:
- This will be full-time, 30 hours per week, with the potential for 3-4 weeks off in July/Aug, depending on job placement options.
- We will be vetting all employers involved in the job placements to ensure they are aware of our expectations to offer safer workplace environments
- Theoretical trade knowledge which together with hands-on shop experience will enable students to go on to train for employment as capable and knowledgeable apprentices and entry-level workers in the trade.
- Acquisition of safety skills and awareness.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to the Carpentry trade.
At the end of the program, students will have:
- This is a for-credit program that culminates with the opportunity to write the level 1 YG apprenticeship exam
- You will have the opportunity to take on a job placement over the summer, the details of which we are still confirming
- Acquired safety skills and awareness.
- Acquired practical hands-on experience with a variety of stationary and portable power tools.
- Math 10 (min 75%) or equivalent AND English 10 or equivalent
- This program welcome anyone who identifies as a women or non-binary
- Students my be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption under the Yukon Human Rights Act
- Applicants must attend an interview with the instructor prior to registration into the program