JUST CE125 - Intimate Partner Violence & Family Law - Part 1
This webinar is intended for frontline workers who encounter clients involved with family law and court after leaving a relationship in which they were subjected to IPV; and others who may be neighbours, friends or family members of people in this situation. The webinar explores family laws and discusses how to navigate the family court process safely.
Topics covered will include:
• Common family law issues that arise in IPV situations
• Federal and territorial family laws
• Impact of post-separation abuse/legal bullying on the survivor and her children
• Challenges in family court for women fleeing abuse
• Legal responses to parenting, financial and property issues under both federal and territorial legislation.
This interactive webinar will use an intersectional feminist analysis/framework, recognizing that, while men, trans and non-binary folx can be victims of IPV, the victims of the most serious forms of coercive controlling and physical abuse, including lethal violence, are people who identify as women.
This webinar is the second in a three-part series. It is not necessary to have attended the first webinar to register for this one.
The instructor, Pamela Cross, is a feminist lawyer who has worked on the legal issues related to gender-based violence for nearly three decades. See: https://pamelacross.ca/
Registration deadline: October 26, 2023