JUST CE108 - Vicarious Trauma - Strategies for Resilience
Helpers regularly encounter stories and symptoms of trauma in their roles. There is growing evidence that the impact of directly supporting others through experiences of trauma goes beyond burnout or fatigue. The toll of witnessing intense human experiences and emotions can contribute to a negative transformation of a helper’s own sense of safety, and of being competent and purposeful.
This workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to examine their own experiences and become aware of the signs of both vicarious trauma and vicarious growth. Participants will have the opportunity to develop a personalized plan to repair negative effects as well as accelerate their resilience.
Some of the Topics Included:
• Signs of Vicarious Trauma
• Anchor Points that Keep You Solid and Steady
• Empathy – A Vicarious Experience
• Building Self-Awareness of the Impact of Working with Trauma
• External Factors Impacting the Effects of Trauma Work
• Individual Factors Impacting the Effects of Trauma Work
• Recognize the Sound and Feel of Your Alarm
• Strategies for Building Empathic Resilience
• Practicing Vicarious Resilience
• Building a Personalized Plan