For the latest COVID-19 response information, please see YukonU.ca/covid-19
Yukon Innovation Prize adopts UN Sustainable Development Goals as 2020 theme
The contest, open to all Yukoners and Yukon-based organizations, is back for its sixth year, with the UN Sustainable Development Goals as its theme. Applicants are asked to submit their innovative ideas to evolve their existing business or start a new one, addressing one or more of the UN goals.
“We have designed the prize to support innovators aiming to solve some of the most pressing environmental, social and economic challenges in Yukon communities,” said Lauren Manekin Beille, Manager of I&E at Yukon College. “Diversity is a key driver of innovation, and we encourage applications from all Yukoners including women and First Nations innovators, and applicants based in Yukon communities.”
Six prizes valued at $5,000 will be awarded to selected applicants, with one grand prize of $10,000 going to the top innovative idea. All seven winners will have the opportunity to work with I&E following the competition to receive wrap-around business supports for their innovative business ideas.
“We are grateful for the Yukon Government’s contribution to support innovation in our territory,” said Shelagh Rowles, Executive Director of the Centre for Northern Innovation in Mining at Yukon College. “Yukoners are leaders in northern innovation, and we are excited to see what types of sustainable business ideas are brought forward in this year’s Yukon Innovation Prize.”
- The call for applications runs from 9am on Wednesday, February 5 to 11:59pm on Friday, February 28.
- Prior to the deadline, applicants are invited to join the I&E team for YIP information sessions at the downtown Yukon College location inside NorthLight Innovation on Second Avenue.
- February 11 from 12-1pm
- February 12 from 5-6pm
- February 13 from 12-1pm (Zoom only Info Session)
- The application form and the contest details can be found on the Yukon College website.
- A wrap-up event and awards ceremony will be held at the end of March.