Study and work permits

It can be challenging to navigate a new country’s immigration rules. It is your responsibility to obey immigration regulations and maintain your immigration status while in Canada.  All students are expected to actively pursue their studies.

Yukon University is a Designated Learning Institution approved to host international students.  The DLI number for Yukon University is O19604209351

Study permits

If you are planning to study longer than six months in Canada, you will need a study permit.  Go to Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website Studying in Canada for more information.

Extending a study permit 

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, come to one of our regular information sessions or make and appointment to meet with our International Student Advisor.  Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

More information can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration website.

Once you have your new study permit email a copy of it to

Working in Canada

There are many part-time jobs available for international students in Whitehorse throughout the year.  The Citizenship and Immigration website provides information for work permit applications.

Every employee must provide their employer with a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to be paid. Service Canada, which is the office that issues Social Insurance Numbers, will only issue a SIN if an international student has a study permit that explicitly states you are authorized to work off-campus.

Working on-campus

International students are legally permitted to work on-campus while studying. The Yukon University International Office can provide you with information on eligibility. There is not restriction on the number of hours students are permitted to work on campus.

View on-campus employment opportunities

Working off-campus

Undergraduate students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the regular academic year (September to April). You may work full-time during academic breaks (summer, Reading Week, and breaks between terms) if you hold full-time status during the academic term prior to, and subsequent to, the academic break.

After graduation

International students graduating from Yukon University may be eligible to work for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.  It is the students responsibility to ensure they meet all the graduation requirements of their program as well as the requirements of the post graduate work permit program. Additional information about the post graduate work permit program can be found on the Government of Canada's Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship website.