Paul Flaherty Bursaries
Paul and Helen Flaherty offer six bursaries in support of students enrolled in the University Access Pathways program and courses, planning to pursue post-secondary education at Yukon University.
Paul and Helen hoped that these bursaries would help students access private tutoring, internet connectivity, a laptop computer and training, textbooks, supports to aid in recovery from a traumatic experience, and unexpected circumstances that threaten a student's ability to remain enrolled.
After graduating from the University of Western Ontario in London, Paul's career with Bell Canada carried him and his family across Ontario and Quebec and ultimately to Whitehorse as the President and CEO of Northwestel for 18 years.
Paul always encouraged the pursuit of education at all levels and the healthy competition found in sport. His interests culminated into his roles as the Chair of the Board of Governors at Yukon College for six years and the Canada Games Board of Governors for eleven years. Paul also had an extreme love for the north and discovered it thoroughly by foot, raft, canoe, snowmobile, air and dogsled.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Currently reside in the Yukon
- Be registered part-time or full-time in the University Access Pathways program at Yukon University
- Be registered in Yukon University 020-060 level courses
- Indicate what program you plan to enroll in following University Access Pathways
- Be a self-funded student (unable to secure funding from other sources)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Provide proof Yukon residency