Janet and Pierre Berton Bursary
The Bennet Family Foundation would like to make a $400 bursary available to a student with demonstrated financial need in the Berton’s name.
Pierre Berton was the chancellor at Yukon College from 1989 to 1993. He was born in Whitehorse, Yukon in 1920. Pierre was the son of a gold-seeker and worked in the Klondike mining camps during his university years. He went on to become an editor and columnist at newspapers and magazines, a television personality and an author. Pierre is now among Canada's most well-known authors with 50 published books, many of which are considered Canadian classics. He is a Companion of the Order of Canada and was inducted into Canada's Hall of Fame in 1998. Pierre passed away in 2004 in Toronto, Ontario after publishing his last book entitled, Pioneers of the North, which was a collection of biographical sketches on five of Canada's northern explorers.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have resided in the Yukon for at least two years as of the date of award application
- Be registered full-time at Yukon University
- Demonstrate financial need
- Indicate how long you have lived in the Yukon as of the date of your award application