- Instructions below are valid beginning September 2020 until further notice.
- Due to COVID-19 precaution measures, direct access to the physical book collection is restricted to library staff only.
- If item is not available from YukonU collections, check the Request interlibrary loans page.
|Borrowing physical books, CDs, or DVDs||Borrowing laptops and AV materials||Course Reserves|
1) Search the library catalogue (Discovery).
2) Click on the title of the item you want to borrow; if needed, use the filters available on the left column to refine your search.
3) Scroll down the item description until you see the "Request this item" button (beneath "Check availability"). Click on "Request this item" and then login with your Yukon U credentials.
4) On the request form, select options as applicable. FOR DISTANCE STUDENTS & STUDENTS IN THE COMMUNITIES requesting items from the Innovation Commons: fill in your mailing address in the notes field of the request.
5) Submit your request.
What happens next:
- For books, DVDs & CDs available at the Innovation Commons: library staff will retrieve the items within 48 hours. Items will be placed on hold and the requester will be notified when item is ready for pickup. Items not picked up within 7 days will be returned to the collection.
- For books, DVDs & CDs on loan: items will be placed on hold for the requester once they are returned, checked in, and have passed a 3 day quarantine period.
- Reference collection items can be used in-house only.
- Items from SOVA: patrons in Whitehorse may request items from the SOVA collection in Dawson City, but expect a delay of 7-14 days due to shipping times. Once available, items can be picked up at the Innovation Commons.
- Distance students & patrons in the communities: items available in the Innovation Commons collection will be shipped to the mailing address informed in the request.
How to return
- All books, CDs & DVDs can be returned to the book drop located at the Main Entrance, close to the Welcome Centre, or at the book drop bin at the Innovation Commons front desk.
- Distance students and patrons in the communities: use the return label shipped with the item to return it to the Ayamdigut campus. Items must arrive before due date.
- All laptops and AV items can be returned to the AV bin located at the Innovation Commons front desk.
- As a precaution, all returned items, including books, AV, and laptops, will be placed in quarantine period, during which they will be unavailable.
This information is intended for external libraries (non-YukonU) .
We lend most circulating items from our collection and allow for interlibrary loaning of articles. Returnable loans (books, videos, etc.) are for four weeks from the date shipped and we will happily renew for two more times unless a hold has been placed on the item. You are encouraged to verify the availability of items in the Yukon University Library Catalogue
Items NOT available for interlibrary loan:
- Items from the "new" collection, usually published within the year
- Items from the reserve collection
- Reference books
- Items from the "archival" collection
While we do not lend periodicals, we will provide digital versions of articles. Copies can be sent by by email or by OCLC Article Exchange.
We ship by courier with fellow members of the BC ELN Media and academic libraries in Canada.
We do not charge libraries for interlibrary loans.
For BC libraries, note that an alternative arrangement is in place through our status as a member of the BC Electronic Library Network.
- Our preference is for requests to come through Illume and Worldshare ILL, but we will also accept requests by email. We do not accept requests by telephone.
- If you are requesting interlibrary loans using email, please include as much information as possible to ensure the speedy delivery of items.
- Due to the small number of our Library staff, we cannot provide rush service.
Yukon University Library Information
- YukonU Library code on Illume: YWC
- OCLC symbol: CN4WZ